Saturday, December 17, 2022

Once Upon a Small Town

So, this is a shorter episode drama and very low on the angst / plot. I had downloaded some episodes on my phone to take on the plane with me when we were travelling. Once Upon a Small Town is a very light confectionary of a show. 


Actually, I suppose technically it isn't totally light in that both the main characters are essentially orphans...hmmmm. In a nutshell, Han Ji-Yul (Choo Yeong-Woo) is a vet in Seoul. He gets a call about his grandparents and rushes to their small town, believing there's an emergency. But, it turns out that grandpa essentially tricked him into coming to cover the vet hospital he runs there while he and the grandmother gallivant around Europe on a much needed holiday.

It seems Ji-Yul hasn't been to this tiny town since he was around 10-ish, which was after his parents died in a car accident (that he was also in). When he was there way back when, in a very dark time in his life, he became good friends with Ahn Ja-Young (Joy). But, he doesn't remember her. Why he hasn't been back in so many years (I think they are close to 30 now? Definitely late 20's) isn't clear as he obviously loves his manipulative grandparents. One of those plot holes you just have to ignore.

Anyway, Ja-Young has grown up to be a policewoman and is always helping everyone in town all the time. Despite their re-introduction being a bit rough (she tries to arrest him for breaking into his grandparent's house), she soon realises he is the boy she used to know. But when she realises he doesn't remember, it makes her sad and a bit prickly. 

Anyway, there's also a sort-of love triangle with her male best friend Lee Sang-Hyeon (Baek Sung-Chul) but it's not really much of one as he never ever made any move of any kind until the arrival of Ji-Yul and she's never seen him as anything but a brother type of figure. Honestly, if he hadn't started prodding Ji-Yul to back off, Ji-Yul might not have even developed an interest! It was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The story is a lot of "methinks they doth protest too much" but is very low on the angst. I actually only have two more episodes left, so I should just finish it already. I'd watched most of it on planes, but a couple while exercising. It's got a bit of a Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha kind of vibe too it but younger, less intense, and, well, lighter. It's a solid show, but not earth shattering, if that makes sense. Will update once I do knock out the last two shows.

Edit: Ok, I finally finished it! Watched the last episode or two at the gym. It was, well, exactly like I expected. Sweet. Wholesome. No angst. No drama. If I were in the mood for knitting, it would be a great show to be on at the same time. And I don't mean that in a bad way at all; sometimes you just want something fluffy and not taxing. 

So, am I glad I watched it? Sure. Would I watch it again? I doubt it. It's not got enough charisma for another watch.

No comments: