Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Law Cafe

I've watched two episodes so far of The Law Cafe about...eh, a month or two ago? Um. Maybe longer. And I do intend to get back to it. Honestly, not even sure what I haven't dipped back in. Well, that's not totally true. I know why. But let's start over.


Kim Yoo-Ri (Lee Se-Young) is determined lawyer with a strong social justice streak, due in part to the wrongful death of her father wherein he was blamed (even though he died!) for the negligence on the company's part. At the beginning, she's working at a law firm but quits to open up a "law cafe" where people who normally couldn't afford it can pop in for legal advice and a cuppa. 

The building she opens up the cafe in turns out to be owned by a formerly very close friend of hers from high school and university: Kim Jung-Ho (Lee Seung-Gi) who had suddenly and mysteriously cut her out of his life years before even though they had sort-of fake dated (and both had real feelings for each other). 

And....this is why I know why I haven't actually watched another episode yet. It was very, very clear pretty much immediately WHY he ghosted her. It's STUPID but very typical Kdrama-ness: he feels guilt because his family is somehow tied into the mess around her father's death even if he didn't have anything to do with it himself. So even though I really like Lee Seung-Gi and the acting seems good, it may be a bit before I go back to it. I absolutely LOATHE it when the thing keeping the main couple apart is someone being a noble martyr for no good reason. 

Anyway, the other thing I really don't enjoy in dramas is when there's a lot of family-related idiotic drama and given that Jung-Ho's dad is some kind of corrupt attorney (which is why he quit being a lawyer himself and is now spending all his time apparently writing a web toon wherein he is exposing the seedy underbelly of the family company or whatever...I mean, really?? This was the method he came up with to amend things??), there looks to be a lot of that nonsense. 

I actually sound more negative about this than I intend to. I will likely go back to the show. There's enough comic elements that it will balance out the stuff I don't care for. And, honestly, if you'd never watched a Kdrama before, you probably wouldn't notice the (overused) tropes. They just happen to be personal pet peeves of mine. But I do really like Lee Seung-Gi, especially when he's on the soft, ridiculous side.

No comments: