Wednesday, April 10, 2024

I Woke Up as a Maid in a Romance Novel and His Royal Highness is Madly in Love With Me

This is another title from that Manga Plaza website: I Woke Up as a Maid in a Romance Novel and His Royal Highness is Madly in Love With Me and it was an actual completed series, so I finished it. About half the chapters were free, maybe more, so I spent maybe £4ish on it? That seemed reasonable and the story was decent, so I'm happy with that. It was a good afternoon's diversion.


They really do seem to go for some exceptionally LOOOONNNNGGG titles, don't they? I know it's the trend, but, man. Ok, so this is isekai adjacent. Erina (the girl) is actually an editor for a romance author, Haru Yayoi. Like every author ever in one of these things, he's a procrastinator who waits around for inspiration (Dear Everyone: This is not actually how professional writers work. Okay, maybe SOME of us, but not the majority. If I waited for inspiration, I'd never finish a freaking book.). 

In his current work, there's this magical blue raspberry thing and somehow (none of this is really explained in the book, but go with it), he makes it in real life. He has her try it while she's there trying to cajole him into working (Dear Everyone: I have never ever ever had an editor show up at my house. Ever.) She does -- and somehow gets sucked into the book as a maid to the main male lead, a Duke who's also her foster brother (though why she's also a maid...I dunno. It doesn't make sense.) 

The author dude 4th walls it, appearing as a crow, and says she can get out if she eats one of the berries in the book and something about "true love's kiss." Considering the panels before had just shown him being completely stunned and shocked as she disappeared, no idea how he a) figures out how to appear to her or b) what's going on or c) how she can get out again.

What she doesn't know is that he also winds up sending his younger brother Kiito in--who appears in the story as Kit, the Crown Prince that is fated to die IF he doesn't eat one of the magic berries. The brother had never met her before, but he had seen her picture and had been told of her tragic (i.e. asshole) first love.

Anyway, things happen, they fall in love, etc. etc. but since she doesn't know that Kit is from the real world and she's in true love for the first time, and they've only managed to get one magic berry created--she gives it to him. But then he kisses her and makes her eat it and Bam! She wakes back up in her author's house. But kinda heartbroken because she thinks Kit died. Then brother comes in and Whoo-hoo, a reunion. 

There's more to it than that, but I'm not going to go into any more depth than that. Overall, I'd say it's sweet. It's a quick read at 15 chapters and the art is pretty good too. There's an awful lot about the plot that doesn't make a lot of sense (especially at the end, when they're about to be sent into another book), but it's one of those things where you just have to go with it.

Am I glad I read it? Eh, sure. It's not the best thing I ever read, but it gives you some feels and actually finishes the story. Would I read it again? Hmmmmmm. I doubt it? But maybe? The biggest issue with it is probably to do with the length. They both fell in love a little too easily and too quickly--there wasn't time to do much more. Which also made the side character stories very quick too. Well, that and the plot holes, but like I said, it's one where you just have to completely suspend disbelief and roll with it. It would actually make for a decent full length thing, but it'd require a lot more work. Anyway. As a short one shot, it was pretty good.

No comments: