Thursday, April 18, 2024

I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness: I'll Spoil Her with Delicacies and Style to Make Her the Happiest Woman in the World!

Continuing in the vein of very, very long and misleading titles, we have: I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness: I'll Spoil Her with Delicacies and Style to Make Her the Happiest Woman in the World!

Sounds absolutely horrid, doesn't it? The first part anyway -- which is the half you see on Crunchyroll. 


Allen Crawford is a rather grumpy sorcerer nicknamed the Demon Lord. Charlotte is the disgraced noble lady, who was living a Cinderella-like existence in a neighboring kingdom (Cinderella pre-fairy godmother) who was framed by her betrothed but managed to escape certain death. Allen finds her and takes her in.

He may be all-powerful and have a scary reputation, but the normal extent of his "evil" ways is correcting the grammar in other people's magical treatises. We learn part way through that he was an orphan adopted by the headmaster of THE magical school and was so clever he graduated at 12 and became a teacher. But, for the last 3 years he's been living in a mansion out in the woods...which is where Charlotte finds herself.

Charlotte is a brow-beaten, soft-spoken goody-two-shoes who, basically, says sorry for a living. Allen is determined to show her how to let loose a little (and maybe even get angry at her evil family for once). So all the "naughtiness" is stuff like "eat dessert for dinner!" and "go on a shopping spree!" 

It's cute and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a harem. However, I'm nine episodes in on the twelve and they didn't really stick to the shtick of "let's spoil her" for very long. Ostensibly, each episode is supposed to tie in to it but instead it started just throwing characters at the viewer. A delivery cat-girl, a younger step-sister (who, thankfully, is NOT in love with her brother, though she is determined to get him and Charlotte to admit to each other their obvious feelings that literally ANYONE else can see), a hell capybara (no, I didn't just make that up) who can transform into a buxom older woman, a jealous magical fenrir (like a big magical puppy who calls Charlotte "mommy" and growls at Allen), and even an elf lady writer who was the former owner of the mansion who had been hiding out in, like, a root cellar for the last THIRTY years. And in the latest "arc" (can't really call them arcs, but whatever), Charlotte's younger half-sister who they think is in trouble but...is actually attending the magic school and has become the top, er, gang leader?

So....um. I mean, I actually am mostly enjoying it, but I kind of wish it had stayed with the original conceit. It feels like anime salad. But, I do like a nice guy helping out his lady love, even if he can't admit it and goes all blushy. 

Edit: Okay, I finished it. Overall, it's a good show and sets itself up for a season two. However, I personally did want at least a LITTLE progress on the romance aspect so I was disappointed in that respect. Will I watch a season two if there is one? Eh, probably. It's not one I'd go out and buy the books for though. I did appreciate the 4th wall break when the cat girl pops up again and he's, like, "Oh, haven't seen you since episode 6." So perhaps the author realised the annoyance of all the characters being thrown at you. I really just wanted to see more of the couple together.

No comments: