Wednesday, February 28, 2018

A little encouragement...

I had an event for World Book Day (it's kind of more like a week long thing, but whatever) yesterday at a high school in London. I'd been a bit bummed about it as there were going to be all these signing sessions and the local bookseller wasn't able to order in any of my books at all (the first two are hard to find in anything other than digital now, the third one is impossible over here except via Amazon, and the fourth about the same). I have a few copies left from my author stash, but that's it. I had tried with the publishers to see if I could get some in but with the shipping charges internationally it worked out to be too expensive. Cheaper for people to buy off of Amazon. Which doesn't help when you are actually at a table and supposed to be signing books. So I'd kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'd be sitting there doing nothing while everyone else was busy. It's kind of an embarrassing thing, generally.

But the bookseller lady was kind enough to let me bring in a small stack from my own stash (I just brought 13 total of 3 books--that was heavy enough along with all the workshop materials). And she actually sold out! And there were a few girls who had actually read my first book already! I don't even know how! That was the first time in ages for that. It's been quite depressing, really, that you can't get my books over here. I haven't seen one of my books in a bookshop here--ever. Most of my readers are in the US and not here and no surprise in that as it's not like someone would ever come across me here by accident since they aren't in shops. It's really hard to promote a book when no one can get it. And depressing.

Anyway, it was nice.  Unexpected. The panel and workshop went pretty well too. And it was nice to see my fellow writers (a few of which I hadn't met before). And am even getting paid for the time (a bit)!

Tomorrow is another event at little dude's school. I volunteered for that one as I like to give something to his school (used to do it at his old one too) though I might have bit off a bit more than I can chew...am going to be doing 6 workshops! It's going to be a long, long day. I have to finish preparing for it today. It's mostly done, but just a few more things to get ready. So, I'd better get to it.

No comments: