Thursday, February 14, 2019

Welcome to Waikiki

I decided it was time to be silly (after watching a mostly depressing episode of Strongest Deliveryman), so I've continued on with Welcome to Waikiki while I was at the gym. Which, incidentally, was my 4th time going this week. I've gone every day. Go me. Did 50 minutes on the elliptical, a bit on the arm weight machines and then another 20 minutes on the treadmill doing a fairly decent imitation of a runner. Well, sort of. Not really. Eh, whatever. I don't really care if I can ever run a quick mile; I just wanna be healthier and thinner.

So, anyway, I've watched three episodes now. I'd mentioned it in passing before when I was debating between this one and Legend of the Blue Sea, but it's the story of 3 friends + the sister of one who are running a mostly failing bed & breakfast in Itaewon. One is an aspiring film director, another an aspiring actor who has only played extras (he was Hoon in Because It's The First Time--does he always play a wannabe actor/performer?), and the last is a writer who wants to write dramas. The sister is about to graduate university and wants to be a reporter.

Their lives get turned upside down when they find a baby in the guesthouse. Ultimately, the single mother winds up living with them (and seems to be slated to be with the film director dude, who is recently broken up from his long-time girlfriend, who looks to be destined for the glasses dude, which is kinda weird).

I don't want to rehash the plot at all. Basically, it's just a ridiculously funny show. I don't think it'll be terribly romantic, but it is terribly slapstick. Take just one situation...Joon-Ki (the actor one played by Lee Yi-Kyung) is possibly up for a part as an extra in a movie about a swimmer. They tell him he's too hairy, so he goes to a waxing parlour and gets waxed. Like, everywhere. Full on Brazilian. It's painful. Of course. Later that day he has lunch with his new-ish girlfriend and meets her mother. Then her sister comes and it turns out to be the same lady that waxed all his bits. This freaks the girlfriend out, even though it was for a part. Because, you know. So he's already having a bad day. Then he goes home still hungry and tries to eat the girl housemate's (Dong-Goo's sister) ramen that she's just made. They get into a pulling war over it and the steaming hot ramen spills all over him. He winds up having to go to hospital...where the doctor who turns up to treat his atypically bad burn on the newly waxed private bits is...the girlfriend's mother. There's a lot of screaming and flailing and physical comedy.

Anyway, it's a lot of stuff like that. Everything played for the ridiculous. I don't know that I'll watch it all in one go or just when I need a laugh. It's so over the top that it might be too much to binge. More like a bar of rich chocolate that you need to digest in bits when you need a pick-me-up.

No comments: