Saturday, June 20, 2020

Anonymous Noise

So, I needed a different filler the other day to make up my exercise time and I was in the mood for anime vs. live action, so I tried out the first episode of Anonymous Noise. I had been debating the manga for some time and so, when it popped up on Crunchyroll, I thought I'd give it a shot. 

Anonymous Noise

The first episode is slightly disjointed and confusing, so I'll be partly paraphrasing from summaries I've seen (honestly, I would have been a bit "huh?" if I hadn't read the back copy of the manga before). Nino, the girl, knew both Yuzu (anime boy with the biggest eyes I have ever seen in any anime ever) and Momo (glasses boy, who was her first crush/next door neighbour) back when she was young, but it has been at least 6 years since she has seen either one. 

She loves to sing and loved making music with both of them. She had promised that one day they would meet again and she would keep singing so they would know her by her voice. I'm not totally clear on this part, but I *think* that she knew them both separately and didn't hang out with them at the same time.

She gets to high school and finds Yuzu when he takes the stage with his band, and he does, indeed, recognise her by her voice when she begins singing along from the audience. So it seems it wasn't just her that has held on to the memories all this time. But...he runs. She catches him, but he's all "pretend you don't know me" and I have no clue why. 

Through reasons of probable jealousy, the lead singer girl of the band won't go on later that day and Nino winds up taking her place after learning the songs very, very quickly. She's a frenetic whirlwind on stage. And then, it's Momo, who is also coincidentally at this school, who hears her from the back of the room and she, amazingly, picks up on his voice through all the cheers and screams and music, and stops singing, recognising him immediately. 

And that was pretty much the first episode. 

Nino seems both straightforward and simple but also wild, in the way of an untamed animal. Yuzu and Momo both seem a bit tsundere, though in different ways. I don't get exactly why Yuzu and/or Momo aren't happy to see her, though Yuzu is already thinking about how much he's missed her at the end of the episode. 

For a style perspective, I like the music scenes. Nino's got energy. Yuzu's humungous eyes are a bit weirdly distracting, especially when the other characters have more normal sized eyes. 

Yuzu and Momo

I was going to say that I thought I ought to give it an episode or two more to see what I think, but while I was searching for an image of Yuzu's gigantic eyes, I wound up reading some spoilers where, basically, it sounds like Nino spends the entire manga/anime chasing after Momo, Momo spends the entire thing telling her to F-off, and Yuzu is always there for her, but she's telling him to go away because she's stuck on the idea that Momo was her first love (?) and...at the end, Yuzu goes off somewhere to study music and she winds up dating Momo. 

So...meh. That doesn't sound great. So I might or might not try another episode. I dunno. 


No comments: