Monday, June 01, 2020

Momo Salon

I needed a quick short drama to make up some exercise time before a quick road trip and after a quick flip through Netflix (where it seems like almost everything I have favourited is an hour), I found Momo Salon. It had been on my list for a long time -- probably placed there sometime after I watched You're All Surrounded as the dude in it was the ridiculous cop in that show (Park Jung Min). As the episodes are only around 7-9 minutes, it was perfect for the time I had. I wound up watching all but one episode in one go.
Park Soo Ah plays the lead girl, Hye Ni, who has moved to Seoul from Busan to open up her own hairdressing salon. Things aren't going that well -- no customers, no love, no friends. By chance, a delivery man asks if he can leave a package at her shop for Chang Gyun (Park Jung Min), a wannabe salaryman who winds up staying for a haircut (while drunk). Her first paying customer! He comes back the next day, wondering if he got a haircut the night before and gets a blow out for an interview. 

He continues to visit for haircuts/stylings/just for kicks and Hye Ni talks the delivery driver into leaving more packages when people aren't home. This drives business to her shop and things take off from there. Over time, things develop with Chang Gyun into a relationship as well. 

At only 6 episodes of less than 10 minutes each, there's not a lot of character development or plot. That said, it's sweet and simple and a slice of life thing. Considering the amount of time it takes, they do a fair amount with what they've got. 

Coincidentally, Park Soo Ah is also in Oh My Baby, which I didn't realise until I just checked out her credits. I can see it now, though it surprised me; she looks so kawaii in Momo Salon compared to her character in Oh My Baby. She's also apparently the lead vocalist in a Kpop group called After School.

Anyway, for what this was, I thought it was pretty adorable and enjoyable. It was worth it. It wasn't earth shattering or ground breaking, but it was cute. Am I glad I watched it? Yeah. Would I watch it again? Eh, I dunno. It wasn't really meaty enough for that. It was an excellent interlude though. 

No comments: