Sunday, June 28, 2020

Twogether

I thought it would be nice to try something different yesterday, so I attempted my first Asian variety show. It's called Twogether, featuring Lee Seung Gi (You're All Surrounded and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (though I only have watched part of 1 episode of that)) and Jasper Liu (Triad Princess).



I liked both of them in what I'd seen of them--even Jasper, though I didn't really love Triad Princess. And in this, they're really just adorable little beans. Can I call them little? They're both 33. Perhaps one of the most interesting things to watch is how they deal with their own communication issues -- Jasper is Taiwanese and Lee Seung Gi is Korean. They both speak a smattering of each other's language (cramming in some study right before the show) and some English. So there's a lot of slightly confused looks and a bit of trying to communicate with hand motions. They're just a joy to watch because they are trying so hard. And, as this is an unscripted show where they get information doled out to them as necessary, they really are confused a lot of the time.

They start off traveling to Indonesia (not even knowing where they were going before arriving at the airport) where they've just been told they will "meet a fan." But then they find out they will be given challenges that they have to meet (while having limited funds) within a limited amount of time. In the first show, they have to descend into a cave, trek through a bunch of mud to come out the other end at the "Light of Heaven" to find a genie's lamp prop. Once they get that clue, they then head to another cave, where they go inner tubing to a fishing hole. The water is cloudy, but they must catch fish to get hints to find the next clue. They do manage, with some bargaining by Lee Seung Gi with the guy who they can buy fish food and nets from.  Then they're off again.

At the end of the first episode, they haven't quite managed to get to their destination, but they are certainly trying very hard. And that's the joy of the show. It's fun to watch them. And, as it's a cooperative show where there's no competition, it's all just...pleasant. I'm not a fan of Survivor type things, so this was a nice little interlude. I'll definitely keep watching it on days that I don't feel like a drama. They really are just adorable.

Also, can I say, it was kinda telling and funny about their respective character as people -- Lee Seung Gi wore shorts & a t-shirt to bed and then there's Jasper in silk pyjamas. 

No comments: