Thursday, June 11, 2020

High End Crush

Yesterday, little dude was sick again and I wasn't sure how much time I'd have to exercise, so I didn't want to have an hour long episode of anything on. So I thought I'd try High End Crush as the episodes are all quite short. It's a Chinese / Korean produced drama with Korean actors (but a bit of Chinese in some oft-quoted Confucius). It's also got Jung Il-Woo, who'd I'd been wanting to watch...and had tried Sweet Munchies to see...but I'm debating on that one because it's not a storyline I'm particularly fond of.

High End Crush

So, Jung Il-Woo plays Choi Se-Hoon, a high powered type A CEO of an entertainment agency. He thinks a lot of himself. Sure, he's good at what he does (maybe?) but he's got an ego the size of the demilitarised zone. It's a very over the top character. Heck, it's a very over the top show, from the zany underlings that follow him around to the histrionics of pretty much everyone to even the OST (which is awesome...but, sadly, so far not available on Spotify or anywhere else that I can find other than Youtube -- very catchy songs by someone called inkii? who hasn't debuted yet? Honestly, the songs might be my favourite thing about the whole show.)

Through mass confusion, Jin Se-Yun's character Yoo Yi-Ryeong, catches his attention while down in Seoul for the day. She usually lives up on a mountain by herself with no electricity (shades of Shopping King Louis here). Her grandfather died a while back and she has no other family. She's supposed to be simple (not simple-minded, just simple...) and a bit naive but sweet. She's also fairly brave and not afraid to stick up for herself. 

Anyway, Se-hoon decides that he wants to "raise her" i.e. develop her talent and even treks up the mountain to try and talk her into it, even though she's flat out refused every time he asks. There's a LOT of ridiculousness and some slapstick comedy. We do see that she's a bit tempted by the idea of the city and flustered by his attentions, but she's also strong-willed. He's trying very hard to pretend to himself that he's after her potential talent and nothing more. There's really nothing about the man that makes sense.

I actually wound up watching 4 of them yesterday (the episodes are mostly around 15 - 20 minutes) and another one today (after an episode of Good Casting). (67 minutes, 880 calories yesterday, 83 minutes, 911 calories today)

It's...silly. That's not a bad thing. Given the short format and the number of episodes (20), I feel like this is going to be a very uncomplicated romp without a lot of digressions. I'm enjoying it. It's definitely not any kind of amazing drama with a plot that makes you think and performances that will stick with you, even years later...it's just fun. And nothing wrong with that. It's also a great length to tack on after an hour long episode of something else.

Edit 23 June, after episode 11: (50 minutes elliptical, 496 calories + 16 boxing + 11 yoga) Nothing really to add -- it's progressing about like you'd expect. Lots of ridiculousness. There's...well...not really much plot. Has anything happened other than he's brought her back to Seoul? Not really. Neither one of them have really moved -- he likes her, but can't admit it; she's curious and intrigued, but inexperienced and unsure. He wants her to sign the contract, she doesn't want to. So, essentially, nothing really has happened. But it's still fun.

Edit 3 July, after episode 14: (32 minutes, 418 calories) Uh, so, yeah, still nothing has actually happened. But they're split up again, though this time Se-hoon doesn't know where she's at because she's moved in with an aunt? This may actually be the slowest moving drama with the most amount of flailing I've ever seen. I'm not saying it's bad. And I do love the music. But, really, nothing has happened AT ALL.

Edit 4 July, after episode 17: (57 minutes, 609 calories + 34 minutes yoga) Feeling exhausted today, so opted for this as the drama requiring the least amount of thought/introspection. Some small plot progress and then an equal amount of regression. He finally confesses to her that he likes her and then immediately gets jealous over something stupid and acts like a 14 year old and tries to make her jealous by being all flirty/close dancing with some other girl while thinking he wants to make her cry. It's actually the first time he's been a complete asshole. Sure, he's been histrionic and over the top, but this is the first time he's been an outright jerk. So. Meh. How old is this dude supposed to be? I'm pretty sure my 12 year old would behave better. Not entirely sure, but mostly sure. Also feeling that, by this time, this girl really needs to have more of a personality. Ah, well. 

Edit 6 July, finished it! (68 minutes, 902 calories) I just wanted to FINISH something on my list, so I tackled this one today as I only had 3 episodes left. Long story short: they finally both admit they like each other. The End. Wah.

Pretty much. Oh, there was some more needless jealousy and flailing around and a few touching moments. I'd say that this one was good for what it was. It wasn't trying to be anything but a funny diversion. And it was that. I enjoyed it but it's not something I would watch again. It's not satisfying enough for a re-watch. 



Did also like that Monsta X was the boy group that she hangs out with/does the music video with. I thought they looked familiar but I'm one of those music listeners that mostly, eh, listens, so I didn't know until reading someone else's review that the boy band was actually Monsta X in the flesh. They were adorable, even before I knew. I definitely figured they were somebody as they were too fluid and talented to just be random actors. So that was a bonus to watching High End Crush. And Bora too, as the blonde Idol -- so glad they didn't turn her into a bully/baddy. She was cute. I liked the little play she had at the end to help get the two reluctant lovers together.

No comments: