Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, Season 2

I'd finally finished Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories season 1 and started on season 2 today (7 minutes yoga, 30 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes arm workout with dumbbells....oi, my arms are useless now). It is, in fact, the second Midnight Diner show...I finally looked it up and there was a Midnight Diner that ran from 2009 to 2014 and then the Tokyo Stories that went from 2016 to 2019 (and is maybe still ongoing? Not sure.). 



Kaosu Kobayashi is Master (owner/chef) in all of them and he is what carries the show, even though it's not as though he has that much dialogue and none of the stories I've seen so far focus on him. Even so, he's the anchor that holds it all together. The thread that weaves the stories into a cohesive whole, however tenuously. 

I like him. He's got a quiet strength. I'm curious to watch him in something else. He's also done voice work in some of Miyazaki's works. 

Anyway, so...the first episode of season 2 was another sentimental one with a successful game designer who had been left as an orphan when he was young and the mother who finds him after seeing him in a documentary shot at the Midnight Diner. A bittersweet but hopeful story. The older I get, the more stories like this make me wobble. Someday, I won't be able to watch a Hallmark Movie without tears (ha, just kidding...I wouldn't even know where to watch one of those and the clips I've seen mostly make me cringe).

This story was centred around chicken fried rice -- in which the recipe is very different from my mother's version. It's red! So I'm a little curious about the Japanese version of the dish vs. the Chinese. I did find this recipe, which calls back to the show, and says it's red because you use ketchup (!) or a tomato based sauce. Not entirely sure about that, but my little sister would have liked it, since she still bathes her food in ketchup. Don't think my little dude would eat it, since he looks at anything with ketchup with both disgust and distrust. His lunch today continued with my lockdown habit of cooking him my version of comfort food--some stir fried thick udon noodles with chicken and bacon in a chiu chow chili oil & sesame oil sauce with a pepper stolen from the plant on the kitchen windowsill and some green onion.

So far, I'd say this season has started out strong and I'm looking forward to continuing the journey with Master.

No comments: