Sunday, February 18, 2024

Cherry Magic

Yeah, so, okay. The full title of this one kind of makes you shudder in disbelief but it's actually quite good so far. So. It's Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?! and it's a Japanese BL series (there's also a live action version, but I haven't seen that yet, though it came before the anime) I gotta say, anime and manga names are getting weirder and longer every year. 
So, Adachi (the dark haired one) did indeed hit 30 without ever experiencing any romance -- physical or otherwise. And suddenly he has the power to hear what people think when he touches them (there are a lot of movies similar to this like US blockbusters What Men Want and What Women Want...but with much simpler titles). Most of what he overhears is just annoying, like when he's crammed in the train and overhears everyone's grumbles.

But then...he's got this handsome coworker named Yuichi Kurosawa who Adachi imagines must have all the luck with the women, with work, with whatever. But as he comes into contact with him more, he, to his shock and somewhat horror, realises that Kurosawa has a crush...on him

Adachi has NO romantic experience, though up until this point it seems he was attracted to women. But as Kurosawa's care and attention (and internal thoughts that reveal what he's really thinking) occupy more and more of his time, he starts to fall for him. He slowly develops some self-confidence (and self-awareness). 

I did a modicum of research and how the story came to be published/produced is actually quite interesting. I did particularly like this quote: Toyota also intended for the theme of Cherry Magic! was to show how, even if one has magical powers, self-confidence is necessary for progress.

We're about halfway through the story so far, me and little dude, and it is charming and quirky. Might even go on to watch the live action afterwards, even though I almost never do that. It's a goofy kernel of an idea, but it's nicely done. Will update when I'm through with it -- it's still being released and we're caught up, so there's a while to go yet. 

Edit: We finished it! It ended well (and no horrifying reversal like in Yes, No, or Maybe? which I haven't written up yet because I'm still disgusted by the ending). Adorable, really. We actually liked it so much that we've started collecting the books. 

So, am I glad I watched it, really bizarre title notwithstanding? Yes, it was good and came to a satisfying conclusion. Would I watch it again? Hmmm, not sure. Well, that said, I think we will try the live action as I've heard it is good too. So I guess that counts as a yes.

No comments: