Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me

Welp, this one kinda threw me for a loop. I thought it was going to be kinda typical first romance (geeky boy + popular girl) thing. And it sort of is. But...Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me has a couple of surprises.

Ryuto Kashima is the classic every-boy geek/nerd. Character design-wise, he looks like about 50 other dudes. Can't even name them all. He's got two other nerd friends, one of which is the chubby one and the VA does the "fat voice" which I have to admit I kinda hate. Anyway. They aren't the nicest of friends; when Ryuto does better than them in the exams, they basically give him a dare: confess his feelings to the girl he likes.

Of course he likes Runa Shirakawa, one of the most popular girls in school. She's always cheerful and has been through a lot of boyfriends (more on that in a minute...). She's also pretty and a bit of a gyaru (character design-wise, she's like a knock off Marin from My Dress Up Darling). So, he confesses to her, fully expecting to be rejected. He's just hoping it will be gentle. But, she's not currently dating anyone and, to his utter astonishment, agrees to go out with him. He's like, WHY? You didn't even know who I was five minutes ago? She believes that the only way to find out if you like someone is to try and date them.

Erm, so, okay, she immediately invites him over to her house. Brings some barley tea. And then basically starts undressing, thinking he must want to sleep with her. Apparently, she thinks that's what she's supposed to do. So, yeah. This girl, who has dated LOTS of guys has apparently been IMMEDIATELY sleeping with them. I mean, she's "known him" all of 30 minutes at this point.

Terrifying. Absolutely terrifying and tragic.

I was kinda tempted to turn it off, honestly. But he turns her down, even though he's tempted (he's a teenage boy...but obviously the only decent one she's ever known). 

After that rocky start, things improve and it's more about them slowly learning about each other. I actually went on to watch three episodes (to give it the "three strikes" go) and it's improved since then. They've introduced Ryuoto's first crush, recently returned, and sadly I accidentally got spoiled for next episode's plot twist when I went to find a picture and look up names to write this up. Apparently (I've said that a LOT this time around), the girl is Runa's fraternal twin sister?? But they haven't lived together?? And she was the one spreading rumours about Runa because she's jealous? FFS.

Anyway. Their first date(s) were darling and Ryoto is a green flag of a boy, so I do think I'll keep watching it in the hopes that Runa realises / grows because, so far, her life (notwithstanding her popularity) is really kinda horrible. And sad. Because you know there are real girls like this out there.

Edit: Ok, I finished it (it was the only one I was watching that's finished...the rest I am waiting on the next episodes to hit). Overall I mostly liked it though it was both better and worse than I thought it would be. The stuff with the sister/twin was almost entirely annoying. The whole bit about her wanting to break up with him even though she didn't WANT to break up with him was also on the annoying side. Believable, yeah, probably, given who she was and her experience with relationships so far (basically, as soon as things got a little tough, break it off instead of working on it). I mean, I get it...they are 17. But at that point, the poor dude is cutting out other people because he doesn't want to do anything that would make her jealous and, yo, dude, that's actually not healthy for you to be saying "it's ok if I don't have any other female friends; she's all I need." 

Then there was the bit with the fat friend who gets skinny via depression after getting turned down and then the girl all of a sudden wants him when he wasn't good enough before and she'd ripped him a new one for even deigning to ask her out. Oof. And the one "demon gyaru" friend who pledges to wait for the one dude even though he's dumped her twice (once so he could literally fool around with other girls after he took her advice and improved on his looks...and they'd actually only dated the first time for TWO WEEKS back in MIDDLE SCHOOL) and...what, are they trying to be the poster child for what relationships should NOT be like? 

Hmmm. Yeah. Okay, I liked Ryoto. Not really sure about the rest. I probably need to go watch something with middle aged people now. Am I glad I watched it? Eh, 50/50. Would I watch it again? Nah, I doubt it. I am always easier on flaws the first time around. A second time and I just get more pissed off. There were a few nice true moments (like when she has regrets about not being able to experience a lot of "firsts" with him and he has a great response) but there were also a lot of frustrating things...at least for an old fart like me.

No comments: