Saturday, February 10, 2024

Let's Make a Mug Too

I am really, really behind. I have actually been watching and playing things, but I've just been busy. But, I'm going to try and catch up a bit, partly because one of the new shows I'm watching I'm really loving. Not this one, though I did really enjoy it too! But I want to go in order. Though I'm not entirely sure I am in order, but, eh, whatever.


Let's Make a Mug Too is a charming little anime. It has two seasons, though I've only watched the first one so far. Toyokawa Himeno moves to Gifu prefecture's Tajimi city, which is where her father and mother grew up and fell in love. Himeno's mother died when she was very young (it hasn't said why so far, but I'm guessing an illness?) and she was an accomplished pottery artist.

The weird thing is that Himeno has no idea about this even though their house is full of her mother's crafts. And they have an altar to her and everything. So living here is a huge surprise for her when she winds up following in her mother's footsteps (sort of) and joins the pottery club. She gathers information about her mother (who was award-winning) while her father tries to make a go of running a cafe with her grandmother. 

She makes some new friends (one perhaps an old friend? As they seem to know each other, but if they explained that, I missed it) and starts to grow as a person. It's not fast-paced by any means but is generally quite sweet. Not sure why, but it gives me Laid Back Camp vibes.

The episodes are alternated with episodes of the real life voice actresses experiencing Tajimi -- making pottery, eating local foods, etc. It's definitely got a tourist board-y feel, but is very sweet as well and fun to watch. I wouldn't mind visiting there myself, which means, I suppose, that they were successful. I do miss making pottery sometimes though, so there's that. 

Anyway, am I glad I watched it? Yes. Would I watch it again? Um...maybe? I definitely will try and watch season two. That said, I can't say that this is one that lights a burning desire in you (unlike one that I will talk about in another post), but it's one of those calming, no angst ones that I like to dip into. 

No comments: