Thursday, February 15, 2024

Villainess Level 99: I May Be the Hidden Boss But I'm Not the Demon Lord

Alright, I just give up. I'm jumping all over the place and will just catch up as I can. Who cares anyway if it's in order? This is just for me so I actually remember what I've watched. So. I generally will always watch anything with an otome/isekai theme, and Villainess Level 99: I May Be the Hidden Boss But I'm Not the Demon Lord is another in the new lineup of these stories. Seriously. I feel, as a writer, I oughta just churn one of these out because they are EVERYWHERE. Anyway.


Plot-wise, it's very much like Bakarina (My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!). In this one, a college student gamer is reborn into an otome game as a villainess and, like Catarina, realises it at a young age. But, unlike Catarina, she's actually good at magic and was supposed to be the Hidden Boss in the game. She's also a Dark magic user (just as rare as a Light magic user). By the time she gets to the Academy or college or whatever it is, she's at Level 99 because she's a gamer and just went about levelling herself up in a methodical, kinda suicidal fashion. As her parents (also unlike Catarina's) leave her alone and she never sees them and is left to her own devices, she had free reign to just sneak out to dungeons and clear them ad infinitum. 

She had no idea until she got to the school and they did a sorting hat kind of test that she was that high. So, there goes her original idea to just avoid the MC and the LIs. Like Catarina, she's kinda clueless, but more in a social awkward, earnest deadpan way. She concentrates so much on levelling up and thinks that everyone else would have the same desire when most of the other kids just kinda want to be...normal. 

Anyway, I don't want to really hash out more than that as I've got some other Villainess ones to write about too (seriously, they are popping up constantly now). 

The Pros: Yumiella has a serious Kagari from Witchcraft Works vibe and that same deadpan delivery. She's likeable and a different kind of clueless. I like the dude (Patrick) that is her love interest (he's not one of the original LIs from the game), though I have a fear they are setting him up to be something more than just another noble. Who knows. The art is good. The humour is good, like when Yumiella plays rock, paper, scissors with one of her dark magic spells. 

The Cons: The standard otome trope LI dudes and the MC are just kinda flat and annoyingly stupid. Like, the MC girl is kinda dumb and thinks Yumiella might be the actual Demon Lord because she has black hair and does dark magic. The dudes first didn't believe she was as powerful as she was and then are just basically jealous. And the prince is particularly idiotic, letting out state secrets like that the Demon Lord will be returning in two years. But, at least the King and Queen seem decent-ish -- they recognise Yumiella's value quickly. Of course, they'd be stupid not too.

I'm caught up on the currently released episodes and I wouldn't say this one is doing anything particularly new, but I am enjoying it. It's an easy watch and the annoyances are balanced by the humour. Will update once I've finished it.

Edit: Ok! I finished it! I liked this one. However, after reading some of the comments on Crunchyroll about the changes the anime made to the manga, I'm definitely not going to read it. It sounds like they streamlined things and kept the annoying characters annoying bits more limited in the anime. It was good the way it was and Yumiella and Patrick had a nice happy (albeit rushed) ending.

No comments: