Sunday, February 11, 2024

The Apothecary Diaries

Eh, screw it, I'm going to kind of jump ahead to the one I'm really loving right now. I had been wanting to watch and/or read The Apothecary Diaries since I first saw it ages ago. I kept waiting, thinking it would be a good one to do with the little dude, but we kept winding up doing other things so I finally decided to just dive in. And now I'm going to need to buy the books because I love it. And the question is -- do I get the manga or the light novels or both...


So. I'm almost caught up with the anime (have watched 16 episodes of the 18 released; there are 24 in the season apparently). If I had to sum it up in as few words as possible, I'd say it's kinda of a cozy ancient China forensics mystery show. But there's a lot more to it than that.

Maomao is the "daughter" of an apothecary who works in the pleasure district. It's pretty obvious early on he's not her actual father though (pretty sure he's an eunuch). She grew up helping him and her "big sisters" in a famous brothel, the Verdigris House. The old granny madam there would love to make her a consort too, but she has resisted because she is into poisons. Well, medicines too, but definitely poisons. She's clever, resourceful, and has that absolute deadpan style that I love. 

Anyway, she gets kidnapped and sold to the palace to work as a laundry girl. But even though she's trying to keep a low profile, she can't keep her intellect down. When she sees that two of the concubines are ill, as are their newborn babies, she leaves a hint that one of them follows -- it's the white face powder that's poisoning the infant. Grateful, the concubine (one of the four main ones), asks Jinshi (the dude -- who Maomao thinks is an eunuch too as he's allowed free roam of the rear palace but it's clear that he's way more than that -- pretty sure he's the Emperor's younger brother in hiding that everyone thinks is sickly and he might (based on one of the episodes) actually be the son of one of the 4 concubines when (possibly) her baby and the empress dowager's got swapped) to find out who left the clue.

Jinshi is as clever as he is attractive (he literally makes anyone, male or female, melt--except Maomao) and figures out who it is. Thus Maomao becomes a chamber maid of that concubine (and later on, Jinshi's assistant). She continues to solve the mysteries that come her way, though she's always professing disinterest. Jinshi, meanwhile, is obviously growing more and more enamoured of her. She's smart. She's not impressed by his beauty. She's...she's just the best. I love Maomao. 

There are other great supporting characters -- Gaoshun, who works for Jinshi (and his brother, later), the big "sisters" from the brothel, her dad, the various concubines. There's a lot of story and character development and the mysteries are interesting and well done enough (though a few have been predictable, most aren't overly so). And, let's face it, I do love a show where the handsome rich dude is so completely smitten and can't help it, even when he knows he shouldn't and I love any deadpan characters. Her fascination with poison and practical nature are just icing on the cake.

So, am I glad I watched it? Yes, very much. I absolutely love this one and unlike some others, I think my love will remain. Some fade on a rewatch, but I think this one will stay. It's smart, has heart, doses of humour, and is also beautifully animated. I love the colours and the style too. It's just a winner all the way around. I don't even usually buy light novels, preferring manga, but this time I might actually do both as the light novels came first and I've heard there's some differences between them. And the more time I get to spend with Maomao and Jinshi, the better. 


Edit: Ok! I finished it! Was sad to see it end, BUT I'm pretty sure there's going to be a second season and I will definitely watch it. Definitely glad I watched it. I think it's one of the best I've seen in ages and ages and I like pretty much everything about it. They even brought it around so you don't hate her dad. Would've been nice to have more progress on the Maomao/Jinshi front, but it is what it is. I think there's a LOT more story there.

No comments: